The handicraft market is the 2nd largest labor market in developing countries (4th in the world) with an annual turnover of $35 Billon
it is highly fragmented and characterized by:
- millions of small family businesses
- a high proportion of women (85%)
- being captured in traditional designs
- low-quality management processes
- lack of education
- thousands of middlemen earning the majority of profits
Business processes are not transparent, fair nor secure.
This booming market has some winners but lots of „handworking" losers.